Leadership: John Donovan, CEO of AT&T Communications
We’re leading the world in communications and technology, redefining how you engage with entertainment.
AT&T Communications builds human-first technology that puts our consumer and business customers first and that works for all of us. We deliver, and continue to invent ways to deliver, captivating entertainment that moves people to tears, makes them laugh, and brings us all closer. We design intelligent solutions that power businesses in near real-time. And we innovate to drive progress—connect smarter cities, live healthier lives—and build something bigger than platforms and infrastructures
AT&T Communications is made up of AT&T Business, Mobility & Entertainment, and Technology & Operations organizations.
Businesses are racing to keep pace in today’s dynamic marketplace. Our solutions help companies adapt to change in near real time and meet the evolving needs of tomorrow.
Millions of businesses – from large, global corporations to mom and pop shops – turn to us. We work with companies in all major industries: financial services, manufacturing, education, healthcare, retail, hospitality and government. Our global IP network services connect businesses in more than 200 countries and territories. All which represent 99% of the world’s economy.
We’re the largest U.S.-based provider of fiber for business services. And we provide high-speed fiber connections to more than 1.8 million U.S. business customer locations nationwide. Across the U.S., over 8 million business customer locations are either on or within 1,000 feet of our fiber.* And we’re continuing to significantly invest in fiber across the country.
We serve nearly all of the Fortune 1000 and:
- More than 60% of the FTSE 100 companies
- More than 90% of the CAC 40 companies
- More than 85% of the DAX 30 companies
- More than 60% of the Nikkei 225 companies
We’ve launched some of the industry’s most unique products and platforms through our highly secure business solutions. Some include the AT&T Internet of Things (IoT), Ethernet, VPN, cloud, AT&T NetBond® for Cloud and AT&T FlexWare®. These serve business needs using an integrated approach.
- AT&T NetBond for Cloud – A scalable, predictable and highly secure connection to the cloud.
- AT&T FlexWare – Simplifies delivering and deploying software-based functions like routers and firewalls. It’s designed and deployed on the AT&T Integrated Cloud platform, which uses Software-Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Function Virtualization (NFV) technologies. It streamlines network infrastructure and has the potential to lower your capital investments.
We’re also a leader in first-responder connectivity. We’ve been enabling and innovating public safety communications for nearly 140 years. And we’ll continue to do this as we bring FirstNet to first responders across all 50 states, 5 territories and the District of Columbia. As the country’s first and only nationwide public safety communications platform, FirstNet will forever change the way first responders think about and use communications.
FirstNet grew from a recommendation made by the 9/11 Commission. It called for interoperable communications for all U.S. first responders to improve efficiency and safety for all. With FirstNet, first responders will have access to fast, highly secure and reliable communications whenever they need them. Learn more.
AT&T Mobility & Entertainment
We offer more of what matters to you – great content and a strong connection for premier entertainment experiences. People want access to content – when and where they want it. They want flexibility through bundled offerings, better values and competitive alternatives to cable. And today, we’re delivering solutions that are more integrated than ever. We connect you with more of everything you love – friends, family, entertainment and experiences – across TV, mobility and internet.
Today, we're the largest provider of pay-TV in the U.S. and one of the largest in the world. In the U.S., we combine our video footprint and beloved content with our nationwide mobility service and high-speed internet available to more than 60 million locations. We offer award-winning video entertainment through DIRECTV satellite TV and U-verse TV. We also offer DIRECTV NOW, our streaming video product, nationwide to provide great content, flexibility and pricing. Our innovative software-based technology powers easier, faster upgrades to more of the entertainment you want most.
Customers, including families, wholesale companies and businesses throughout the U.S. and its territories rely on our network as something they cannot do without. Nearly 142 million wireless connections in the U.S. are using our specialized mobile products and services.
And we expect to be the first U.S. company to introduce mobile 5G service by late 2018. The promise of mobile 5G is seemingly endless. And we’re moving fast to make it a reality.
We connect millions of devices and sensors to our network like smartphones, connected cars and asset management devices.
Our high-speed mobile network is at the heart of our mission to connect people with their world from virtually anywhere. And we give you options. We combine premium entertainment and unlimited wireless data plans on our premier mobile data network to bring you greater value.
We’re on track to reach more than 50 million customer locations with an internet connection of 50 Mbps or more sometime after 2020.
We know the importance of a quality connection. Today, our fiber-enabled broadband network delivers blazing-fast internet speeds to homes and small businesses.
- Our high-speed internet service connects 60 million U.S. customer locations.
- Our 100% fiber network is growing. We market our ultra-fast fiber service to more than 7 million customer locations across 67 metros today. And we’ll add 3 million locations in 2018 to reach at least 12.5 million U.S. customer locations by mid-2019.
- It’s a cross-border network experience that provides seamless mobile internet connectivity for our subscribers.
Technology & Innovation
We’re constantly innovating alongside the top players in the industry to create new experiences and technologies for you. We’re adopting new technology as we move toward the future of connectivity and 5G. We’re looking to connect more devices faster, with lower latency, more data and better battery life. AT&T is laying the groundwork for technology infrastructure that will fundamentally change the way the world lives and works. In fact, we expect to be the first U.S. company to introduce mobile 5G service in a dozen markets by late 2018.
We have a software-defined network platform that’s transforming our company and enhancing the solutions we offer customers around the world. We expect to reach our goal of virtualizing 75% of our network by 2020.
And our labs and Foundry locations are pushing the boundaries of technology daily.
- AT&T Labs creates advanced technologies that just began to scratch the surface of software-defined networking (SDN) and network function virtualization (NFV) possibilities. Our researchers look beyond what already exists to invent disruptive technologies that will drive future innovations. AT&T Labs draws on our 140-year heritage of innovation.
- AT&T Foundry connects cutting-edge innovators and technologies to bring you new products and services. We have 6 Foundry locations throughout the world. We recently opened a Foundry for Connected Health in Houston. The team there focuses on mobile caregivers, business IoT solutions, clinical health, and in-home help for the independent elderly. The goal? Help take the current healthcare ecosystem into the future.
- The AT&T Drive Studio™ is the first connected car innovation center in the U.S. opened by a wireless carrier. And we’re inviting the world's most innovative companies and developers in. The Drive Studio engineers end-to-end, fully integrated connected car solutions – all in one location. With the new and enhanced AT&T Drive™ platform, we’re working with auto companies across the globe to elevate the driving experience by improving safety, diagnostics, entertainment and security.
Our team has received 8 Nobel Prizes and earns an average of more than 5 AT&T-issued patents (U.S. and foreign) each business day.
*The 1.8 million U.S. business customer locations, in which AT&T provides high-speed fiber connections, is included within the 8 million U.S. business customer locations on or within 1,000 feet of our fiber.
**Coverage not avail. everywhere. Based on overall coverage in U.S. licensed/roaming areas. Reliability based on voice and data performance from independent 3rd party data.