2012 Sustainability Report: Cutting-Edge Energy Efforts Save $151 Million
How much money can more than 14,300 energy-reducing projects save a company? In its 2012 Sustainability Report, AT&T reports those projects saved the company more than $151 million in annualized energy savings since 2010 and nearly 1.3 billion kilowatt hours (kWh), equivalent to the electricity use of 136,340 homes in one year.
“With the help of our employees and organizations that share our vision, AT&T’s sustainability commitment is growing in ways imagined and unimagined,” said Charlene Lake, Chief Sustainability Officer and Senior Vice President, Public Affairs. “This year’s report tells our sustainability story through the voices of people who work hard to address critical issues such as Texting While Driving, the high school dropout crisis, resource strain related to energy and water use, and diversity and inclusion. We are encouraged by our progress in 2012, and will continue our commitment to improving our world and empowering our customers to do the same.”
Other highlights from this year’s report include:
- Invested more than $43.6 million toward the planned $250 million commitment over five years to AT&T Aspire.
- Continued commitment to the 100,000 Jobs Mission, hiring nearly 1,000 veterans.
- Reached more than 1.3 million pledges through the “It Can Wait” no texting while driving campaign.
- Introduced Aspire Mentoring Academy, with the goal of providing 1 million hours of mentoring by our employees through the end of 2016.
- Deployed our 7,000th alternative fuel vehicle and announced that 10 percent of our corporate fleet of more than 71,000 vehicles is now comprised of alternative fuel models.
- Began collaboration with the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) to determine best practices on reducing water use in facility cooling processes.
AT&T is committed to integrating sustainable business practices across its business and was recently ranked #1 on Corporate Responsibility Magazine’s 13th Annual 100 Best Corporate Citizens List. AT&T was also included in the 2012 Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index. Visit www.att.com/csr to learn more about sustainability at AT&T.