SXSW Showcases AT&T LTE Network Speed and Performance
SXSW is one of the most cutting-edge entertainment and interactive events in the country and attendees were connected throughout the festival this past weekend on our mobile network. We enhanced our coverage and capacity to handle additional data demand with the help of a Distributed Antenna System (DAS) at the Austin Convention Center and three Cells on Wheels (COWs) which are deployed throughout the downtown area.
Some AT&T mobile network traffic highlights from SXSW include:
- Data Demand Jumps at SXSW – There was a boost in data usage during the first weekend of the festival compared to the opening weekend of SXSW last year. AT&T had more than 4,118 GB of data travel across its mobile network during the weekend in the Downtown Austin area.
- This data total is more than 355 GB greater than data usage during the same weekend in 2013.
- 4,118 GB of data is the equivalent to more than 13,175 hours of streaming HD video.
- Texting Frenzy – More than 286,086 SMS texts were sent during the first weekend at SXSW.
The network was put to the test as well. On March 8 and 9, Global Wireless Solutions Inc. (GWS), a leading independent benchmarking solutions vendor for the wireless industry, tested mobile coverage at key areas in downtown Austin during SXSW. GWS collected more than 2,925 samples of mobile data usage from approximately 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, March 8 and Sunday, March 9.
They found that AT&T offered the fastest 4G LTE network upload experience of any mobile provider at the event. AT&T also tied for the fastest network download experience and delivered 100% LTE accessibility at SXSW.
SXSW attendees were using their mobile devices in full force throughout the weekend at SXSW. According to GWS, here are the AT&T network numbers:
- The average AT&T 4G LTE upload speed at SXSW this past weekend was more than double (or 105% greater than) the closest competitor’s 4G LTE upload speed.
- The real-world difference between AT&T’s upload speed and its closest competitor’s upload speed is equivalent to being able to upload 4 minutes of high-definition video content on AT&T’s network in in 20.5 seconds vs. being able to upload 4 minutes of high-definition video content on the closest competitor’s network in 46.6 seconds.
- The average AT&T 4G LTE download speed at SXSW this past weekend was tied for the fastest of any carrier.
- AT&T’s download speed is equivalent to being able to download 4 minutes of high-definition video content on AT&T’s network in 11.42 seconds.