The Believe Detroit initiative is a community effort to help promote educational opportunities, academic achievement, and a path to self-sufficiency for Detroiters. This effort is also an opportunity for AT&T employees to make a difference in the communities we serve.
To show Detroiters that AT&T cares about the communities it serves, we teamed up with 15 organizations and offer several events where we are seeking AT&T employees to volunteer throughout the year.
Below is a list of upcoming events and efforts. Some dates are still being finalized but an overview timeframe is listed below. If you are interested in volunteering for any of these initiatives, please send an email to ATTMichigan@att.com.
· June 11th & 12th – STARBASE/Selfridge Air National Guard Base: Career exploration in tech, robotics and aeronautics (20 volunteers)
· June – Sit On It Detroit: Building eight benches with book storage for Detroit bus stops (60 volunteers)
· June – Latin Americans for Social and Economic Development: Support LA SED’s advocacy program
· July 10th – Metro Detroit Youth Day: Sponsor annual event drawing 35,000 Detroit youth (100 volunteers)
· July – DC Elite/Bing Youth Institute Tournament: Expand outreach for student participation in eight-week DC Elite High School Basketball Summer League with more than 1,500 youth girls and boys (60 volunteers)
· July – Gregory Kelser Basketball Camp: Support this one-day camp with an educational and mentoring focus for 125 students (20 volunteers)
· August – Salvation Army: Support Pathway of Hope program to reduce poverty
· September – Partnering with National Action Network and their United States Naval Sea Cadets program: Connecting students to military career opportunities
· September/October – Believe Detroit Technology Challenge: Teaching web development, exposing students to technology career opportunities (40 volunteers)
· October – Detroit Urban League: New learning lab/resource center
· Dates TBD – City Year Inc. Detroit: Expansion of City Year Detroit mentoring and tutoring program
· Dates TBD – Friends of the Children: Creation of a new mentoring program in Detroit