Watch the Tokyo Olympics in 4K with DIRECTV
DIRECTV BRINGS CUSTOMERS NBCUNIVERSAL'S COVERAGE OF TOKYO OLYMPIC GAMES INCLUDING ENHANCED 4K UHD AND CUSTOMIZABLE FEATURES
JULY 23 – AUGUST 8
Video Subscribers Gain Access to NBCUniversal’s unprecedented 7,000 hours of Multi-Platform Coverage of the Olympic Games in Tokyo
DIRECTV today announced a multi-platform content offering for NBCUniversal’s coverage of the Games of the XXXII Olympiad, which will take place from July 23 through August 8, 2021, in Tokyo, Japan. DIRECTV’s video subscribers will have access to NBCUniversal’s unprecedented 7,000 hours of Olympic Games programming, including coverage of all competition sessions, on-demand, and 4K content.
DIRECTV will present at least 250 hours of 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) coverage of the Olympic Games provided by NBCUniversal to its customers on DIRECTV channel 105. 4K coverage will also be made available on a one-day delay and include footage from Opening and Closing Ceremonies, gymnastics, track and field, swimming, diving, beach volleyball, golf, tennis, and other sports.
DIRECTV will deliver its exclusive NBC Olympics TV Experience to its subscribers that includes a mosaic with up to six simultaneous channels and an interactive hub featuring medal counts and specific scheduling information for fans of individual events and/or specific teams, as well as general coverage on any upcoming dates.
“As we all gather again as a global community to celebrate the very best in sports and sportsmanship, we’re proud to offer our customers NBC’s wall-to-wall coverage of the Olympic Games including many events delivered in 4K/UHD, thousands of hours of VOD content, and DIRECTV’s exclusive OLYMPICS EXPERIENCE with its customizable features that complement the rest of the NBC’s Olympic Games coverage,” said Rob Thun, DIRECTV executive vice president and chief content officer.
“Tokyo 2020 is going to be the biggest yet in both size of audience and in the ways in which we engage this passionate, global audience with new innovations and experiences,” said Mac Budill, president, networks distribution, NBCUniversal. “AT&T has long been a great partner in delivering fans the best in live sports programming, and we’re excited to continue this relationship with offerings like 4K and a custom Olympic Games destination.”
A recognized industry leader in customizable content for sports fans, DIRECTV provides enhanced coverage and complementary interactive features for each of tennis’ four grand slam events; most of golf’s Grand Slam events including the U.S. Open, The Open Championship, and The Masters and recently concluded U.S. Women’s Open; the NCAA men’s basketball tournament; NFL Sunday Ticket; the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018; and other major events.
The following multi-platform offerings from NBCUniversal will allow DIRECTV customers to watch and be a part of this summer’s Olympic Games through their televisions, PCs, mobile and tablet apps, and connected TVs.
NBCUniversal’s Olympic Games Experience Available to DIRECTV Customers Includes:
- Linear Networks: The NBC broadcast network will once again be the backbone of NBCUniversal’s coverage, providing 17 consecutive nights of primetime coverage and 250 hours of the biggest stories of the Olympic Games. Five English-language NBCUniversal cable networks – USA Network, CNBC, NBCSN, Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA, and GOLF Channel – will present 1,300+ hours of coverage from Tokyo this summer.
Telemundo Deportes, the exclusive Spanish-language home of the Olympic Games in the U.S., will present the most extensive Olympic Games coverage ever in Spanish-language media focusing on those stories and disciplines that are relevant to the U.S. Hispanic audience, with over 300 hours of programming across Telemundo and Universo.
- NBCOlympics.com and NBC Sports app: NBC Sports Digital will stream more than 5,500 hours of the Olympic Games on NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports app, via authentication, including all 41 sports and 339 medal events on the Tokyo 2020 program, plus the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, medal ceremonies, and more.
Olympic live streaming and digital only content will be made available at NBCOlympics.com for PCs, and via the NBC Sports app for mobile devices, tablets, and connected TVs for verified customers who subscribe to a package that includes NBCUniversal’s networks and who log-in to the site or app.
- NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports app will once again feature full-event replays and extensive video highlights. DIRECTV customers can easily verify their subscriptions and watch Olympic Games coverage live online at no additional charge.
- NBCOlympics.com: In addition to live streaming, NBCOlympics.com will provide the ultimate Olympic Games web experience, with real-time results, medal standings, athlete pages, recaps, and 150+ daily video clips, including event highlights, recaps, viral moments and more.
- In-Games On Demand: NBCUniversal is making Olympic Games highlights and select full-event replays available via a specific folder on DIRECTV’s Video-On-Demand service. Approximately 50 highlights per day, including competitions, viral moments, medal ceremonies, and more. Approximately 10 full-event replays per day, featuring U.S. team sports such as basketball and soccer.
- Pre-Games On Demand: Available now and continuing through the Tokyo Olympics, viewers can access more than 150 pre-Games clips in HD via set-top box and DIRECTV’s website, including highlights from select U.S. Olympic Team Trials, athlete features, and Tokyo look-aheads.
- Interactive TV: DIRECTV customers will have access to an on-screen interactive experience on the six-panel Mosaic during Olympic Games programming showing live coverage from each of NBCUniversal’s networks all on one screen.