AT&T Invests Nearly $1.6 Billion Over Three-Year Period to Enhance Network in the Greater Seattle/Tacoma Area
SEATTLE, Wash., March 6, 2014 — AT&T* has invested nearly $1.6 billion in its best-in-class wireless and wired networks in the greater Seattle/Tacoma area from 2011 through 2013, driving a wide range of upgrades to enhance speed, reliability, coverage and performance for residents and business customers.
Advancing its Project Velocity IP (VIP), an investment plan to expand and enhance its wireless and wired IP broadband networks, AT&T in 2013 made 179 network upgrades in the greater Seattle/Tacoma area, including new cell sites, addition of wireless and wired network capacity, and new broadband network connections.
Notable network enhancements in the area last year included:
- AT&T expanded its mobile Internet coverage at CenturyLink Field in September by completing the installation of a new Distributed Antenna System (DAS) to enhance the customer experience throughout the facility.
- AT&T expanded its 4G LTE network in Washington to include Crystal Mountain and Stevens Pass resorts, bringing skiers and snowboarders the latest generation of wireless network technology.
- AT&T upgraded mobile Internet cell sites in Bellevue, Everett, Kent and Redmond to expand AT&T 4G LTE coverage.
- AT&T expanded its 4G LTE network in existing Washington markets to include: Carnation, Edmonds, Enumclaw, Fall City, Gig Harbor, Graham, Maple Valley, Monroe, North Bend, Orting, Poulsbo, Port Orchard, Snoqualmie, and South Prairie.
AT&T was named Seattle’s fastest 4G LTE network in PC Magazine’s 2013 Fastest Mobile Networks 30-market study. AT&T swept the top rankings in all six U.S. regions from coast to coast: Northeast, Southeast, North-Central, South-Central, Northwest and Southwest.**
AT&T provides the nation’s most reliable 4G LTE network today, covering nearly 280 million Americans with 4G LTE service.***
For more information about AT&T’s coverage in the greater Seattle and Tacoma areas or anywhere in the United States, consumers can visit the AT&T Coverage Viewer. For updates on the AT&T wireless network, please visit the AT&T network news page.
* AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
** PC Magazine, June 17, 2013; http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420333,00.asp
*** Claims Basis: Speed–national carriers’ average speeds; Reliability–data transfer completion rates on nationwide 4G LTE networks. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. 4G LTE not available everywhere.
To define a market, we rely on the Core Based Statistical Areas (CBSA), as established by the United States Office of Management and Budget. Minor differences, if any, between annual totals reflect annual updating of market boundaries in our record systems.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and internationally. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation’s most reliable 4G LTE network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV service with the AT&T U-verse® brand. The company’s suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com/aboutus or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/att and YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/att.
© 2014 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.