More than 7,000 veterans hired since 2013 toward a pledge to hire 10,000 by the end of 2018
Supporting Our Troops
For nearly 100 years, AT&T has remained dedicated to supporting active military personnel, veterans and their families. Our nation’s service men and women make sacrifices to protect our country and our freedoms, and as a company, it as an honor to support them both at home and abroad. Moreover, military veterans possess the skills we need to succeed as a company and are an invaluable part of our workforce.
Recruiting and Hiring Military Veterans
At AT&T, we’ve integrated veteran recruitment into our business practices for years. We focus on recruiting veterans not only because it’s the right thing to do, but also because it’s good for our business.
Military Talent Attraction
In the past few years, we enhanced our military recruitment programs by increasing our promotion of AT&T as an employer of choice within the veteran community. We also dedicated a Military Talent Attraction Program Manager to inform the military about AT&T and educate AT&T managers about the military.
Online Tools and Resources
We understand that the job search and application process at large companies can be challenging for anyone — and even more so for transitioning veterans who are entering a new world with a new set of jargon. Therefore, we created online tools, resources and checkpoints to optimize success through our recruitment process, such as:
- A military-focused career site: www.att.jobs/military;
- A Military Skills Translator Tool that allows veterans to use their current Military Occupation Code or Military Occupation Specialty to identify civilian jobs at AT&T that may be a good fit for them: www.att.jobs/MOS;
- The Careers for Veterans program, which provides veterans with the opportunity to participate in online career video chat sessions or to connect directly with one of hundreds of AT&T veteran employee volunteers at: http://veterans.att.jobs; and,
- A career page for military spouses highlighting the myriad work locations at AT&T and jobs that are portable and/or virtual: www.att.jobs/milspouse.
100,000 Jobs Mission
AT&T is a founding member of the 100,000 Jobs Mission, launched in 2011 by JPMorgan Chase and 10 other companies to commit to hiring 100,000 veterans by 2020. The coalition has grown to more than 180 corporate members and tripled its commitment to hiring at least 300,000 veterans by 2020. The coalition’s companies have collectively hired more than 217,000 veterans by 2014.
Stepping up our Hiring Commitment
In April 2013 AT&T announced that it is stepping up its veteran recruiting efforts with the goal of hiring 5,000 veterans and their family members into career opportunities over the next five years, consistent with its commitment to equal employment opportunities. In November of 2013, AT&T doubled that five year commitment to 10,000. Currently, we’ve hired more than 7,000 veterans and their family members, and are well on the way of achieving our goal by 2018.
Veteran Employee Resource Group
AT&T’s Veteran Employee Resource Group (ERG) is more than 30 years old and serves more than 7,000 members. This group creates an instant community for veterans joining the company and involves them in outreach, philanthropy and volunteerism opportunities – including ways to refer fellow veterans for jobs at AT&T. AT&T veterans serve as Career Ambassadors and represent AT&T at veteran career events and through our Careers for Veterans Job Search Advisor program.
Our ERG members take advantage of multiple opportunities to interact with senior AT&T leaders and make connections across business units and functional areas.
Awards and Recognitions
- In 2014, recipient of the Secretary of Defense Employee Support Freedom Award, the Department of Defense’s highest recognition given to employers for exceptional support of Guard and Reserve employees
- AT&T recognized as one of the 10 Best Corporations for Veteran-Owned Businesses by Vetrepreneur Magazine four years in a row.
- G.I. Jobs Magazine recognized AT&T as one of the Top 50 Most Military Friendly Employers for the past nine years.
- G.I. Jobs Magazine recognized AT&T as a Top 50 Military Spouse Friendly Employer for the past three years.
- Military Times, a Gannett publication, ranked AT&T #12 on its EDGE list of companies that are Best for Vets.
- AT&T has been recognized as one of the 10 Best Corporations for Veteran-Owned Businesses by Vetrepreneur Magazine five years in a row.
- U.S. Veterans Magazine named AT&T as one of the nation’s Best of the Best Top Veteran-Friendly Companies and Top Supplier Diversity Programs in 2014.
Supporting Veterans and Military Families
AT&T supports veterans and military families through a variety of financial contributions, programs and collaborations with organizations dedicated to servicemen and women. We support Blue Star Families and their networking events for military spouses, the Wounded Warrior Project in their mission to honor and empower warriors through no cost programs available across the country, and Sentinels of Freedom which helps severely wounded post-9/11 veterans successfully transition into stable, self-sufficient civilian lives.
Cell Phones for Soldiers
A long-standing mission of AT&T is to connect members of our nation's military with their loved ones back home. Initiated in 2004, and expanded through financial support from AT&T, Cell Phones for Soldiers is a non-profit that uses funds from recycled cell phones to buy prepaid phone cards for our service men and women, helping them connect with their families. Over the past two years, AT&T has proudly supported Cell Phones for Soldiers' "Helping Heroes Home" initiative, a program designed to provide emergency funds for returning veterans to alleviate communication challenges as well as physical, emotional and assimilation hardships. Additionally, AT&T donated more than $4.5 million and distributed more than 600,000 AT&T prepaid calling cards to servicemen and women overseas since 2007.
Homes 4 Wounded Heroes
In 2013, AT&T contributed $100,000 to the Military Warrior Support Foundation's Homes 4 Wounded Heroes program. This program awards mortgage-free homes to wounded heroes injured during combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. The homes are for families who have severe and/or unique circumstances due to their injuries obtained while serving our country. AT&T's contribution also assists families through three years of family and financial mentoring.
AT&T Supplier Diversity’s Operation Hand Salute protégé program is a groundbreaking national mentoring program that helps veteran Business Leaders with service disabilities improve their business operations and enhance their ability to win corporate contracts. Over the course of 12 months, Business Leaders participate in mentorships, an entrepreneur program via AT&T TelePresence Solution® and AT&T Matchmaker events including “Fast Pitch” sessions with a panel of experienced CEOs and AT&T Supplier Diversity managers. Since 2011, AT&T has sponsored 53 service-disabled veteran business owners — including 20 in 2014.
For more information on AT&T's commitment to Supporting Our Troops, view our issue brief.
Latest Supporting Our Troops Updates
Apr 13, 2015 |
In Your Community - “Catch a Vet” Charity Fishing Tournament: Supporting Gold Star KidsLearn more
Jun 30, 2014 |
AT&T Teams With Military Warriors Support Foundation and Chase to Honor Wounded Veteran in BlaineLearn more
May 22, 2014 |
AT&T Employees Volunteer to Honor the True Meaning of Memorial DayLearn more
Nov 11, 2013 |
AT&T and Pizza4Patriots Deliver Pizza to U.S. MilitaryLearn more