More scammers are turning to texts to trick you. In part, it’s because AT&T and other carriers are having success blocking illegal robocalls. So, you may be seeing more of these suspicious messages on your phone.
They may come from a ten-digit phone number (example: 555-555-1234), a short code (example: 00000), or even from an email address.
WE CAN TAKE ACTION IF YOU FORWARD
When you get an unwanted or suspicious text, you CAN do something about it. Report the message to us, so we can work together against the bad guys.
Updated Apple and Android operating systems make it easy when using the Apple and Google messaging apps. If you don’t use these apps, keep reading to see how you can still get us the information we need by forwarding the text message to 7726.
With both the Apple and Google messaging apps, here’s what you do:
Messages on your iPhone
- Open the text conversation you want to report
- Click “Report Junk” in blue text and a pop up should appear at the bottom of screen.
- Select “Delete and Report Junk” in red text
- You can also swipe left on a message in your inbox, tap the trash can and then select “Delete and Report Junk.”
In certain cases, if you don’t see “Report Junk,” you can forward the message to 7726.
Messages by Google
The exact procedure may differ slightly by Android device, but in general…
- Touch and hold the conversation you want to report, marking it with a check
- Select Options (three dots on upper right of screen)
- Choose “Block” and then “OK”
- With a message open, select Options
- Choose “Details”
- Then “Block & report spam” and “OK”
USING 7726 TO FORWARD UNWANTED TEXT MESSAGES
You can also forward the unwanted text message to us by sending it to 7726. You’ll get a response text from us, asking you to reply with the number the unwanted text came from.
We know you may not be familiar with forwarding texts, and there are a number of steps. But now that you understand why it’s so important, choose your device platform below for a step-by-step guide on how to quickly forward us that message!