AT&T Keeps Runners and Fans Connected at 121st Boston Marathon
AT&T* will once again keep runners and fans connected at this year’s Boston Marathon.
We have been a proud sponsor of the Boston Marathon since 2008, and we’re pulling out all of the stops this year. We will bring back the popular AT&T Athlete Alerts to help fans follow their favorite athletes along the route, and we’ll host AT&T Communication Centers at the Finish Line to help runners get in touch with their families after the race.
Plus, we worked with the Boston Athletic Association to create a brand-new look for the 3rd annual official Boston Marathon smartphone case, giving runners and supporters a unique way to show their passion for one of the nation’s most beloved events. All proceeds from the new smartphone case will support Boston Athletic Association youth running initiatives and the Red Sox Foundation and Massachusetts General Hospital Home Base Program.** On April 15, a limited supply of phone cases will be available only at the AT&T flagship store at 699 Boylston St., near the finish line.
“This is our 10th straight year working with the Boston Athletic Association to support this iconic event,” said Janna Ducich, AT&T New England vice president and general manager. “Marathon Monday is an exciting day for this city and the hundreds of thousands of Boston Marathon fans across the country, and we look forward to keeping athletes and fans connected throughout the festivities.”
As the official wireless provider of the 121st Boston Marathon, we will again offer a host of mobile features to connect runners and spectators. These will include:
- AT&T Athlete Alerts: Friends, family and fans wanting to track runners’ progress can sign up to receive real time email, text and social media updates. Receive text alerts when your runner reaches the 10K, half marathon, 30K and 40K marks, as well as the finish line.
Signing up for AT&T Athlete Alert is easy. Simply text RUNNER to 234567 and sign up to receive up to 8 text alerts*** per bib number. Runners can also register to have alerts sent through their own social media.
We will also provide tablets at the AT&T Athlete Alert registration area during race weekend for those who want to sign up. Look for AT&T at the John Hancock Sports & Fitness Expo. You can also sign up for text or email alerts online at www.baa.org. Program sign-up is available now. Online registration closes Sunday, April 16, at 6 p.m., but you can register by mobile phone during the Marathon.
- Free Communication Centers: We’re helping runners contact their loved ones after the race with our AT&T Communication Centers. They can congratulate them with a call, text or video call. The calling centers will be located in the Family Meeting Area after the finish line.
- Increased Network Capacity and Free Wi-Fi: We will provide free temporary Wi-Fi to customers at the Marathon start line in Hopkinton and at the finish line on Boylston Street. We boosted 4G LTE network capacity at more than 30 cell towers along the marathon route. We also plan to bring a Cell on Wheels (COW) to Copley Square to accommodate expected increased network demands.
- Mobile Medical Centers: AT&T is providing 50 Samsung tablets in the 25 medical tents along the marathon route. They will help the B.A.A.’s medical personnel track competitors as they enter the tents, are treated and released.
- Boston Marathon App: Runners and fans can use the B.A.A.’s mobile app – the Official Boston Marathon App, powered by AT&T – to learn about the race and the competitors.
- Virtual Reality Experience: We know running the Marathon isn’t for everyone. That’s why we created a Boston Marathon virtual reality experience. From the “Scream Tunnel” at Wellesley College to “Heartbreak Hill” in Newton and all the way to the Finish Line on Boylston Street, users can see all of the iconic sights along the Boston Marathon route.
- Athlete Accessory Bundle: New this year, we’re offering a discounted bundle of accessories to help athletes power through the 26-mile race. Each accessory bundle comes with a free, transparent Boston Marathon pull-string bag.
We’re also sponsoring free finish line photos for runners and fans. Get your photo taken Saturday, April 15 from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. or Sunday, April 16 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. The keepsake photos will be placed in commemorative frames and made available at the AT&T Boston Flagship Store at 699 Boylston St.
* AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
**Cases for iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone Plus and Samsung Galaxy S7. From each case sold, $9 will benefit the Boston Athletic Association youth running initiatives and $8.50 will benefit The Red Sox Foundation and Massachusetts General Hospital’s Home Base Program. Offer valid while supplies last.
*** Data and message rates apply
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) helps millions around the globe connect with leading entertainment, business, mobile and high speed internet services. We offer the nation’s best data network* and the best global coverage of any U.S. wireless provider.** We’re one of the world’s largest providers of pay TV. We have TV customers in the U.S. and 11 Latin American countries. Nearly 3.5 million companies, from small to large businesses around the globe, turn to AT&T for our highly secure smart solutions.
© 2017 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the Globe logo and other marks are trademarks and service marks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
*Claim based on the Nielsen Certified Data Network Score. Score includes data reported by wireless consumers in the Nielsen Mobile Insights survey, network measurements from Nielsen Mobile Performance and Nielsen Drive Test Benchmarks for Q3+Q4 2016 across 121 markets.
**Global coverage claim based on offering discounted voice and data roaming; LTE roaming; and voice roaming in more countries than any other U.S. based carrier. International service required. Coverage not available in all areas. Coverage may vary per country and be limited/restricted in some countries.
About the Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.)
Established in 1887, the Boston Athletic Association is a non-profit organization with a mission of promoting a healthy lifestyle through sports, especially running. The B.A.A.’s Boston Marathon is the world's oldest annual marathon, and the organization manages other local events and supports comprehensive charity, youth, and year-round running programs, including high performance athletes and running club. Since 1986, the principal sponsor of the Boston Marathon has been John Hancock Financial. The Boston Marathon is part of the Abbott World Marathon Majors, along with international marathons in Tokyo, London, Berlin, Chicago, and New York City. More than 60,000 runners will participate in B.A.A. events in 2017. The 121st Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 17, 2016.
About Home Base Program
The Red Sox Foundation and Massachusetts General Hospital Home Base Program is dedicated to healing the Invisible Wounds of War for Post-9/11 Veterans and their Families through clinical care, wellness-based programs, community outreach, education and research. Home Base operates the largest private-sector program in the nation devoted to healing Invisible Wounds such as post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury, anxiety, depression, military sexual trauma and family relationship challenges. Since its inception, Home Base has served more than 7,500 Veterans and Family Members with care and support, trained more than 10,000 clinicians nationally, and remains at the forefront of discovering new treatments-- ensuring a brighter future for the 21st century Warrior. For more information please visit www.homebaseprogram.org.