Share a Great Conversation….Not Germs! Tips to Avoid Getting the Flu from your Smartphone
There are steps you can do to avoid getting the flu from your smartphone, tablet, wireless headphones, chargers, and VR headsets – especially with shared mobile devices.
Nowadays, people take their phones with them everywhere they go, from the gym to the bathroom and then to the dinner table and even to bed. Throughout your day, you shake hands with people, touch doorknobs and staircase railings – and then you touch your smartphone and put it against your face.
During flu season, you can keep your phones and other mobile devices germ-free. Here are a few tips:
- If you’re sick and experiencing flu symptoms, don’t share your phone and stay home to avoid infecting others. Keep your germs to yourself.
- Avoid sick people. If you share your phone with friends or family be careful, you may be sharing more than just your phone. You may be spreading a virus!
- Wash your hands frequently. Sing a verse from a familiar song (e.g., “Happy Birthday”) while lathering and rinsing. Don’t rush. If you don’t have soap and water around, then use disinfectant like hand sanitizer.
- You can carefully wipe your phone. If you think it’s been contaminated, disinfect your phone. Use a wrung-out disinfectant wipe or spray a paper towel with disinfectant. Don’t spray the phone.
- Try using a Bluetooth device or other hands-free headset, minimizing your keypad-to-face exposure
- Stop using your phone in a restroom. Some things can wait!