AT&T Unveils "Network On Demand" Trial, IBM Cloud Agreement and New High-Speed Internet Services for Fiber-Ready Buildings for Business Customers
DALLAS, Sept. 19, 2014 – “The convergence of mobile technologies, devices, apps and networks has fundamentally changed the way business gets done,” said Ralph de la Vega, President and CEO of AT&T Mobile and Business Solutions, in a keynote address to more than 65 industry analysts attending the company’s annual two-day summit.
With mobility trends, video consumption and software technology disrupting business models and companies in every industry sector, “our business customers are relying on us to provide them with services and applications that work, regardless of device and wherever they are doing business,” de la Vega added. “We’re delivering the network intelligence, platforms and industry alliances to achieve this, while handing companies real potential for breakthrough productivity results and new business models.”
In presentations and discussions with top AT&T* executives during the Industry Analyst Summit this week, the company unveiled the following:
- Market trial of “Network on Demand” capabilities – Using a self-service online portal, AT&T Network on Demand will ultimately enable businesses to add and change network services in near real time. AT&T is planning commercial rollout of Network on Demand-enabled services in Austin by the end of the year and additional markets are scheduled to be deployed starting in 2015.
- High-speed Internet Service for Fiber-Ready Buildings – As AT&T continues to aggressively deploy fiber to thousands of buildings nationwide, the company is launching AT&T Business Fiber, a new U-verse High Speed Internet solution for businesses. It is now available to companies in AT&T Fiber Ready buildings in six markets, with additional markets planned by year-end. The new Internet service gives businesses access to AT&T’s high-speed fiber backbone with available upload and download speeds of 300 Mbps, with future plans to offer speeds up to 1 Gbps.
- Highly Secure, On-demand Access to IBM Cloud via AT&T NetBondSM – Customers will be able to extend their VPN to SoftLayer, an IBM Company. As a highly-secure on-ramp to the cloud, AT&T NetBond also dynamically allocates VPN bandwidth, allowing customers to use as much or as little as they need. SoftLayer is the latest addition to a growing cloud services in the NetBond ecosystem, which includes IBM, Microsoft, HP, CSC, Equinix, salesforce.com™, VMWare and Box.
- New API Platform for Resellers – AT&T announced a new API that will help speed cycle times for select AT&T products and give more control of the quoting and ordering experience to solution providers participating in the company’s AT&T Partner ExchangeSM reseller program.
- Security Threat Intelligence Portal – Earlier this month, AT&T announced an all-in-one threat intelligence portal that provides real-time information on potential threats for security specialists, IT managers and senior security leaders.
- Shell Customer Agreement - AT&T has signed a five-year agreement with Shell to migrate 150,000 employees and contractors in 50 countries to a new unified communications platform, making this our most comprehensive Microsoft Lync deployment to date for a single customer.
“Our vision is to smartly connect companies and people in all major industries,” said de la Vega. “From GM cars to GE locomotives and medical technologies, we are making those connections and seizing the opportunity both here in the U.S. and globally.”
This week’s event featured discussions with AT&T senior managers and executives, including Chairman and CEO Randall Stephenson and John Donovan, Senior Executive Vice President, AT&T Architecture, Technology, Operations.
Project VIP: Key to Transitioning AT&T Customers to all-IP Network
By 2020, AT&T expects to transition our customers from legacy technologies to an all-Internet Protocol network architecture. As part of that transition, AT&T launched in late 2012 Project Velocity IP, a multi-year investment plan to expand and enhance its wireless and wired IP broadband networks. AT&T is planning to scale the deployment of IP services across its wired footprint to serve:
- Approximately 57 million residential and business customer locations in its wired service area.
- More than 1 million additional business customer locations. As of June 30, nearly 500,000 additional business customer locations have been reached as part of the Fiber to the Building program.
Over this expanded fiber network, AT&T is delivering new and innovative IP-enabled services, including:
- AT&T Network on Demand, a ground-breaking technology described above for business customers with AT&T fiber access.
- AT&T Business Fiber, a U-verse high speed Internet solution available only to businesses in multi-tenant fiber- ready buildings.
- AT&T’s U-verse with Gigapower solution for residential and small business customers.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
Salesforce and others are among the trademarks of salesforce.com, inc.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and internationally. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation’s most reliable 4G LTE network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best global wireless coverage, based on offering roaming in more countries than any other U.S. based carrier, and offers the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV service with the AT&T U-verse® brand. The company’s suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://about.att.com or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/att and YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/att.
© 2014 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the Globe logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks and service marks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
Reliability claim based on analysis of independent third party data re nationwide carriers’ 4G LTE. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. 4G LTE not available everywhere.
Cautionary Language Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
Information set forth in this press release contains financial estimates and other forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, and actual results might differ materially. A discussion of factors that may affect future results is contained in AT&T's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. AT&T disclaims any obligation to update and revise statements contained in this news release based on new information or otherwise.