Tackling By the Numbers AT&T
Throughout the season, football fans flooded into stadiums with their smartphones in hand – ready to capture all the game day action. Fans soared through data as they shared their favorite plays, fight songs, quick videos and more from the biggest games. And they hit a perfect data score.
Last night’s thrilling championship game resulted in Clemson, SC bringing home the championship trophy. From the coin toss to the final touchdown, fans shared heart-pounding moments and used nearly 9 terabytes (TB)* of data during college football’s biggest game weekend. That’s equal to more than 25 million selfies from the stands.
And here’s what the rest of the regular season looked like: Based on mobile data usage alone, College Station, TX would celebrate as the data champions. They used over 36.6 TB of total data throughout the season. Fans in Columbus, OH weren’t far behind, using over 35.8 TB of total data.
When your team is in action, you want to share those touchdown dances, one-handed catches and game-day selfies. That’s how fans set data-breaking records on our network at stadiums across the country. Let’s take a look back at how the data stacked up on our in-stadium mobile networks.
College Football Final Data Score:
- There were tons of college football games played across different venues where we provide in-venue coverage via Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS).*
- The top 10 stadiums where fans used the most data are home to winning teams
- 70% of the stadiums that used the most data were homes to teams ranked in the final top 25 of the regular season, including the stadium in Tuscaloosa, AL, home of the top-ranked team in the country.
- Which regular-season college football game resulted in the most mobile usage? On November 24, the crowd in College Station, TX shared their best game day moments on their phones using nearly 7 TB of data.
- That equals more than 19 million stadium selfies. That’s a lot of selfies—and even more team spirit.
- If average mobile data used per game determined the outcome of the college football championship, College Station, TX would still bring home the big data win.
- From the games played at more than 100 pro and college stadiums, our customers used more than 560 TB** of total mobile data during the 2018 regular season— an 85% boost from the 2017 season.