AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a modern media company whose mission is to inspire human progress through the power of communication and entertainment.
We bring together premium video content, a large base of direct-to-consumer relationships, high-speed networks optimized for video and advertising technology to lead the next revolution in technology, media and telecommunications.
AT&T has recorded 35 consecutive years of quarterly dividend growth and is a Fortune 10 company.
Our company comprises four distinct business units:
- AT&T Communications provides mobile, broadband, video and other communications services to U.S.-based consumers and nearly 3 million companies globally – from the smallest business to nearly all the Fortune 1000 – with highly secure, smart solutions. Revenues from these services totaled more than $144 billion in 2018.
- WarnerMedia consists of WarnerMedia Entertainment, WarnerMedia News & Sports and Warner Bros. In 2018, WarnerMedia received 37 Emmy® Awards, including 23 for HBO, the most awards of any TV network for the 17th straight year. WarnerMedia also received 11 Academy Award nominations, including 8 for Warner Bros.’ A Star is Born, which won Best Original Song. Together, these businesses had 2018 revenues of more than $33 billion.1
- AT&T Latin America provides mobile services in Mexico to consumers and businesses, plus Vrio’s pay-TV service across 11 countries in South America and the Caribbean. It had revenues of more than $7 billion in 2018.
- Xandr provides marketers with advanced advertising solutions using valuable customer insights from AT&T’s TV, mobile and broadband services, combined with the extensive ad inventory of WarnerMedia’s cable networks and AT&T’s pay-TV services. Advertising revenues across AT&T are more than $7B on an annualized basis.
With the addition of WarnerMedia – we bring together the four key elements that define a modern media company:
- Premium Content: No one does premium content better than the terrific talent at Warner Bros., WarnerMedia Entertainment and WarnerMedia News and Sports. Add in targeted content such as Bleacher Report and Boomerang, as well as our Otter Media properties, and we have a robust content portfolio that can drive viewer engagement to new levels.
- Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) Relationships: We have more than 370 million2 D2C relationships across AT&T’s wireless, video and broadband businesses that provide valuable subscriber insights to better inform how we deliver advertising, what content we distribute and how we distribute that content. And we also have an opportunity to significantly grow our D2C streaming services that include HBO NOW, DIRECTV NOW, Watch TV and our new streaming service set for beta launch at the end of 2019. These services allow us to deliver a personalized entertainment experience to all viewers.
- Advertising Marketplace: We’re focused on investing in and growing our new advertising company, Xandr. That includes our acquisition of the ad-technology leader AppNexus, which was an important step toward creating a real-time video advertising marketplace to unlock value for advertisers and publishers. This marketplace will not only enhance premium video advertising, with greater relevance to consumers, it will also give marketers key insights into their most valued audiences.
- High-Speed Networks: The more customers engage with premium content the more access they will need to high-speed connectivity. And demand will only continue to grow with 4K and virtual reality. That’s why we continue to invest heavily in 5G wireless and our fiber network. We were the first to deploy standards-based mobile 5G in the U.S., ending 2018 with 5G in parts of 12 cities. We have the nation’s fastest wireless network.3 And according to America’s biggest test, we have the nation’s best wireless network.4 As the appetite for premium video consumption continues to grow, our high-speed network will be ready to deliver a great experience for our customers … at home, at work, on mobile devices, through augmented and virtual reality or in the car.
Bringing together all these capabilities sets up a virtuous cycle: Great content delivered to more and more consumers over high-speed networks drives broader and deeper customer engagement. Deeper engagement provides greater customer insights into the content our customers enjoy. Those insights inform the creation of new content and facilitate relevant targeted advertising that drives even deeper engagement.
We are reinventing the way the media and entertainment industry works for consumers, content creators, distributors and advertisers.
AT&T customers have already seen a growing range of innovations and benefits, from live TV offerings to an array of streaming services such as DIRECTV NOW, Watch TV and HBO NOW. Consumers can increasingly watch live TV or on-demand video the way they want. WarnerMedia is accelerating that trend.
And by end of 2019, we’re scheduled to beta launch an SVOD service, offering a new entertainment choice with WarnerMedia’s rich collection of films, television series, libraries, documentaries and animation loved by viewers around the world. Following the launch, we plan to add original content and broaden our offerings to include licensed content and ad-supported services.
Our content creators are driven by their vision and imagination. And we’re committed to giving them the freedom to continue to be the world’s leading story tellers. For its history, WarnerMedia has lived by this principle. And that hasn’t changed now. In fact, we are planning to allocate even more resources to help content creators do what they do best.
Owning content gives us more flexibility to deliver it to the widest possible audience across multiple screens. Our goal is to create a compelling D2C streaming service that will help distributors increase customer penetration and reach more viewers. We’re working with our distributors to develop a distribution strategy that works for everyone.
With Xandr, we’re creating a better option for advertisers to find and reach desired audiences at scale in trusted, premium content environments.
We have an opportunity to do for TV and premium video advertising what others have done with digital advertising, but also to give marketers more transparency, brand safety and accountability for their advertising investment.
Our history of innovation is a story about people from all walks of life coming together to improve the way we interact with one another and the world around us. Today, we’re a leader in diversity with a commitment to fostering an inclusive culture. We’re proud to have announced WarnerMedia’s Diversity and Inclusion Policy last September, the first in the media industry. And we strive to be a great place to work and a desired business partner. We celebrate more than 50 years of AT&T’s Supplier Diversity Program, which connects minority-, women-, service-disabled veteran- and LGBTQ-owned businesses with opportunities to provide products and services to AT&T.
We continue to develop solutions to help create a better, more environmentally sustainable world. We’re making measurable progress on our goal to enable carbon savings 10 times the footprint of our operations by 2025. We’re doing this by making our network more efficient and delivering services through Smart Cities and Internet of Things (IoT) programs that help our customers reduce their carbon emissions. In 2018, we became one of the largest corporate purchasers of renewable energy in the United States. Our investments will deliver up to 820 megawatts of clean wind energy to the American power grid. And we’re working to help divert waste from landfills with a goal of achieving zero waste at 100 AT&T facilities – including our corporate headquarters – by the end of 2020.
We continue our drive for student success and career readiness through our AT&T Aspire and ESCUELA+ education programs in underserved and underrepresented communities in the U.S. and Latin America. Since their inception, AT&T Aspire has committed more than $500 million to its programs, and ESCUELA+ has reached more than 2 million students in 9 countries.
And we're working to improve lives every day through support for our local communities. We launched AT&T BELIEVESSM in 2018 to create positive change in local, urban communities across the country, including Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and New York. We’re also committed to the safe and responsible use of our products and services through our IT CAN WAIT campaign, which has inspired more than 36 million pledges to never drive distracted.