AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) is a modern media company that brings together premium content, direct to consumer relationships, advertising technology and high-speed networks to deliver a unique customer experience.
AT&T has recorded 34 consecutive years of quarterly dividend growth and is a Fortune 10 company.
The recently completed acquisition of Time Warner – now known as WarnerMedia – brings together the four key elements that define a modern media company:
- Premium Content: No one does premium content better than the terrific talent at HBO, Turner and Warner Bros. Add in targeted content such as Bleacher Report and Boomerang, and our Otter Media properties, and we have a robust content portfolio that can drive viewer engagement to new levels.
- Direct to Consumer (D2C) Relationships: We have nearly 300 million1 D2C relationships across AT&T’s wireless, video and broadband businesses that provide valuable subscriber insights to better inform how we deliver advertising, what content we distribute and how we distribute that content. And we also have an opportunity to significantly grow our D2C streaming services such as HBO NOW and DIRECTV NOW.
- Ad-technology Platform: We’re focused on investing in and growing our new advertising and analytics business, Xandr. That includes our acquisition of the ad-technology leader AppNexus, which was an important step toward creating a real-time video advertising marketplace to unlock value for advertisers and publishers. Not only will this platform utilize customer insights from our millions of customer relationships, it will also enhance premium video advertising, with greater relevance and higher yields – potentially with fewer ads.
- High-Speed Networks: The more customers engage with premium content the more access they will need to network bandwidth. And demand will only continue to grow with 4K and virtual reality. That's why we invest heavily in 5G wireless and our fiber network, and plan to be the first to deploy standards-based mobile 5G in the U.S. by the end of 2018. As the appetite for premium video consumption continues to grow, our high-speed gigabit network will be ready to deliver a great experience for our customers … at home, at work, on mobile devices, through augmented and virtual reality or in the car.
The combination of these four elements is powerful, creating a virtuous cycle…great content to drive engagement…broad, direct-to-consumer distribution…high speed networks to reach more consumers…all fueled by relevant advertising and insightful analytics to improve the overall consumer experience.
We are reinventing the way the media and entertainment industry works for consumers, content creators, distributors and advertisers.
Consumers have already seen innovations and benefits following our acquisition of Time Warner. For example, we’ve launched WatchTV – our $15 lean bundle without sports-only or local channels, which is available to our wireless customers on eligible unlimited plans at no extra charge.
We plan to create new forms of content…like personalized CNN news clips or shorter versions of content from WarnerMedia’s world-class TV and movie library…all for mobile viewing.
And we’ve announced that by the end of 2019, we’re scheduled to launch a D2C streaming service, offering a new choice for entertainment with the WarnerMedia collection of films, television series, libraries, documentaries and animation loved by viewers around the world.
AT&T’s viewership data will provide new, anonymized insights to WarnerMedia – helping us create content better tailored to consumer trends and preferences. We can also improve our content acquisition and optimize our program scheduling.
Owning content gives us more flexibility to deliver it to consumers across multiple screens. Our goal is to create a compelling D2C streaming service that will help distributors increase customer penetration while also helping us reach more viewers. We’re working with our distributors to develop a distribution strategy that works for everyone.
With Xandr, we’re creating a new option for advertisers to find and reach desired audiences at scale in trusted, premium content environments.
We have an opportunity to do for video advertising what others have done with digital advertising but also to give marketers more transparency, brand safety and accountability for their advertising investment.
AT&T is comprised of four distinct business units:
- AT&T Communications provides mobile, broadband, video and other communications services to U.S.-based consumers and more than 3 million companies – from the smallest business to nearly all the Fortune 1000 – with highly secure, smart solutions. Revenues from these services totaled more than $150 billion in 2017.
- WarnerMedia consists of Turner, Home Box Office and Warner Bros. WarnerMedia received 37 Primetime Emmy® Awards, including 23 for HBO, the most awards of any TV network for the 17th straight year. And WarnerMedia won 12 News and Documentary Emmy Awards — 6 wins each for HBO and CNN — a record for CNN. Together, these businesses had revenues of more than $31 billion in 2017. 2
- AT&T Latin America provides mobile services in Mexico to consumers and businesses, plus pay-TV service across 11 countries in South America and the Caribbean. It had revenues of more than $8 billion in 2017.
- Xandr provides marketers with advanced advertising solutions using valuable customer insights from AT&T’s TV, mobile and broadband services, combined with extensive ad inventory from Turner’s cable networks and AT&T’s pay-TV services. It had revenues of more than $1 billion in 2017.
We're working to improve lives every day through support for our local communities. With our signature education initiative, AT&T Aspire, we committed $400 million to help provide access to the education and training people need to get and keep good jobs. And our IT CAN WAIT campaign has inspired more than 25 million pledges to never text and drive.
Our history of innovation is a story about people from all walks of life coming together to improve how we interact with the world around us. Today, we’re a leader in diversity with a commitment to fostering an inclusive culture. We strive to be a great place to work and a desired business partner. We embrace our responsibility to reduce our environmental impact on the planet and are committed to helping our customers use our technology for social good.
In Mexico, we’re recognized as a Socially Responsible Company by the Mexican Center for Philanthropy (Cemefi) and Alliance for Corporate Social Responsibility (AliaRSE).
In Latin America and the Caribbean, through Generación DIRECTV, we’re a leading force in the transformation of communities. We focus on education, volunteerism, philanthropy and sustainability. Programs like Escuela+, Piedra, Papel and Tijera span a decade of work for improving local communities.
This year, were named a top 5 Great Place to Work® in Mexico across all industries and a top 25 in Latin America.
Through WarnerMedia, we have a strong vision of what it means to be a responsible media company in today’s society. We work to create diverse and original content that deepens the conversation on issues that matter. We invest millions of dollars and thousands of volunteer hours to develop next-generation, diverse storytellers who can help us ensure an inclusive artistic landscape. We also collaborate across the industry to support diverse enterprises. And we work to reduce our environmental impact as we serve a global audience.